There are 2 main reasons why I feel I am extremely lucky to be living in Houston. First is the economy. Because of the oil an gas industry, more and more people are moving down here. When they move, they will need a place to live. As a result of this, the housing market is exploding. People are selling their house even before they put it on the market and for sometimes $20-$50,000 more than they are asking. This is great for the seller. If you have ever had any thoughts of selling your house, now is the time to do it. Of course if you do, you better have something already lined up cause it may be kinda hard to find another house, unless you are building. The more families that move here means more homes to be occupied which means more opportunity for me and my company to gain new customers.
Another reason for me to love Houston is the weather. We usually have about 4 or 5 hours of winter every year followed by 165,000 days of humid hot summers. Ok so maybe I’m exaggerating just a little, but you get my drift. As a result of this the bugs are rampant. Now I know most people don’t like to hear this, but for me and my business it’s great. For the past 3 years we experienced record breaking sales in every aspect of my business. Even though I’m very grateful for all the business I have received there are still many people out there not convinced in our services and what we do. They still believe they can do it themselves and save money in the end. I decided to jot down some interesting facts on why I believe it is better to hire a professional exterminator both in the short term as well as in the long term.
1. Cost- Although the initial investment is more expensive with a professional, it may end up being the cheaper alternative. Usually the percentage of active ingredient in store bought products is half the percentage of what a professional uses. As a result more and more product may have to be purchased in order to solve the problem. This can get very expensive in the long run. Not to mention an increase of the pest problem if not solved quickly.
2. Convenience- Yes, if you are treating your home yourself, it may be more convenient for you to be able to buy the product and treat your house when you want it done. But if not done properly you will spend more time and headaches going back and forth from store to home trying to solve the problem. The professional will work with you and set up an appointment to treat your house 1 time rather than multiples times.
3. Knowledge- An experienced and knowledgeable exterminator will be able to quickly identify and treat your problem. They will be able to answer any questions that you will have about prevention or other issues that you are experiencing. Their experience and expertise can keep your home and family healthier than if you are just going by what a salesman has to say.
4. Risk- Chemicals of any kind can carry a risk. Applying chemicals that you are not knowledgeable about could potentially cause harm to humans, pets, or plants in the area. By hiring an experienced and knowledgeable pest control company, most risk is removed from the homeowner.
5. Warranties- If you do it your self your on your own. It’s up to you to figure out the problem and why it’s still there. Again this could be very stressful as well as expensive. A professional will usually have some sort of warranty attached to his work. If it’s not working, just make a quick phone call and they will come back out (usually for free) to fix the situation.
Now I know many people have many different view points on many different things. I’m also sure people will read this and say I’m biased because of the industry I’m in. One thing I’ve learned over the years is the pest control industry is a very important one. We have the ability keep all of our neighbors and friends safe and bug free. My customers have learned to depend on us and trust in us. For this, I’m very proud to be in the pest control industry. Especially in Houston.
Hope this helps!!
Scott McGrath, www.mcgrathpestcontrol.com